Breaking News
Loading...
Thursday, April 3, 2014

May one of these solutions help you? Plz choose just one solution:

Eureka!: Adolescent Development Crossword Puzzle

8:15 PM





Dear Friends,

I am REALLY excited to share these activities with you. Ever have a “eureka!” moment? A little history…



Many of you are familiar with Wayne Pawlowski’s notes on adolescent development that describe the key characteristics of change --- the 5 “I’s” – identity, intellect, independence, intimacy, and integrity. With Wayne’s permission, the CFLE reprinted these stages in Positive Encounters back in 1999.

I have always struggled with presenting this information. It’s a LOT to convey --- not only the unique characteristics of each “I”, but also what’s happening throughout development from early to middle to late. I just don’t know this stuff like the back of my hand, like Wayne does, or maybe some of you do. And I’m not very comfortable memorizing and lecturing. I like fun and games.

So I always stress out a little when people ask me to come and speak on adolescent development. I recently had such a request. So late one Friday afternoon it finally hit me: Make a crossword puzzle out of it. After the idea came to me, I shouted out “Yes!” (like I was Thomas Edison inventing the lightbulb) and my shout was probably audible throughout my office. Solidifying my sex geekishness, I called Wayne to share my idea, and he was excited and supportive.

There are three crossword puzzles – one for each age group. What I did was have folks break up into groups of three and each group got all three crosswords. As they checked in with each other for help completing their puzzles, in the process, they shared notes, ideas, and learned together.

I hope you can put these crossword puzzle activities to good use, too. Honestly, the puzzles are not very hard, but I don’t think they need to be. The fun is in the completion; the learning is in the discussion. I do have an intern working on developing the answer key. The puzzles and the answers will be posted soon to the Sex Ed Network website. But if you can’t wait, Wayne’s complete handouts discuss the 5 "I's" for each age group, and contain the answers to the puzzles.

Bill


What activities do you use with your learners to help better convey and solidify the sexual health and education messages you teach? Share them here atsubmissions@sexuallysmarter.com


Join the CFLE mailing list to stay on top of sex ed news and information:


Check out all that the 2013 National Sex Ed Conference had to offer and stay informed about the 2014 National Sex Ed Conference:



Stock up on some fresh activities from the Sex Ed Store:


Get connected with colleagues through the Sex Ed Network:



Follow us on twitter at: @SexEdNetwork





siege auto

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Toggle Footer